[Rd] Write unix format files on windows and vice versa

Andrew Redd amredd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 19:23:00 CEST 2012

I go back and forth between windows and linux, and find myself running
into problem with line endings.  Is there a way to control the line
ending conversion when writing files, such as write and cat?  More
explicitly I want to be able to write files with LF line endings
rather than CRLF line ending on windows; and CRLF line endings instead
of LF on linux, and I want to be able to control when the conversion
is made and/or choose the line endings that I want.

As far as I can tell the conversion is not optional and buried deep in
compiled code. Is there a possible work around?

Thanks,
Andrew