[Rd] Milestone: 4000 packages on CRAN

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Aug 23 22:01:41 CEST 2012

On 23 August 2012 at 20:42, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| On 23/08/2012 20:30, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > R-release:
| >
| > edd at max:~$ r -e 'AP <- available.packages(contrib.url("http://cran.r-project.org")); print(dim(AP)[1])'
| > [1] 3988
| > edd at max:~$
| >
| > R-devel (version as of a few days ago):
| >
| > edd at max:~$ ~/bin/Rscript-devel.sh -e 'AP <- available.packages(contrib.url("http://cran.r-project.org")); print(dim(AP)[1])'
| > [1] 3988
| > edd at max:~$
| >
| > There is a bug somewhere if another count gives 4001.
|
| Hint: available.packages() has filters, so you are not seeing the
| Windows-only packages.

But should I not get all via a default type of 'source' as I am on Linux?

| Note too that the number of packages on CRAN is not monotone: packages
| get added, packages get withdrawn/archived, sometimes 10s at a time.

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/cranberries/cran/new/		## New pkgs

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/cranberries/cran/removed/	## Rm'ed pkg

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/cranberries/cran/updated/	## Updates

as well as the overall

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/cranberries/

Today was pretty entertaining with package mRMRe added as 'new' only to be
removed a few hours later.  Fun times...

Dirk