[Rd] Compilation failure on Solaris: any advice?

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 16:38:01 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

>     > Is that a build with "good old" Studio or a build with a recent GCC?
>     > I don't have any direct comments that would be helpful to you - but let me
>     > know if you need a place to do some test builds and try to figure it out.
>     > I can certainly help you with that.
>
>     > [Are more Solaris-esque build slaves needed?  Someone give a shout if so...
>     > we can sponsor some infrastructure there.]
>
> `` shout! ''
>
> as long we (R community at large "in principle", de facto,
>             AFAIK, Prof Brian Ripley)
> can have a Solaris testbed for CRAN which is reflected in the
> CRAN package check, it would be really great if someone provided
> a "Solaris-builder" server similar to the
> win-builder.r-project.org one that Uwe (and his Depaertment/
> University) provides.

Getting a solaris-builder would be awesome.  My understanding is that
people both use a Solaris supplied compiler as well as GCC regularly
on this platform (ok, I don't fully know what I am talking about here,
since I don't have access to Solaris), and having one builder for each
compiler would be awesome.  (As would a linux machine with an intel
compiler, now that I am dreaming).

Additionally, right now I personally have a need for a login to a
Solaris machine. Some build problems with Rgraphviz has been reported
on Solaris and there is no way I can fix them without command line
access.

Best,
Kasper Daniel Hansen
Assistant Professor
McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine
Department of Biostatistics
Johns Hopkins University
Website: http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~khansen