[Rd] Generate .Rout.save files for vignettes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:52:53 CET 2012

On 12-12-10 11:45 AM, Benjamin Hofner wrote:
> I am looking for a way to generate .Rout.save files for vignettes.
> The manual "Writing R Extensions" states here [1] in item number 20:
>
> "If there is a target output file .Rout.save in the vignette source
> directory, the output from running the code in that vignette is compared
> with the target output file."
>
> Yet, there is no pointer on how to get the correct .Rout.save files for
> vignettes. (For the files in directory "test" there is a footnote on how
> to get the .Rout.save files. [2])

I agree, this should be documented.  But it is rather easy:

Just create an empty file and call it vignette.Rout.save.  Run the
checks, and you'll get lots of errors because it won't compare to the
real output.

When you get a compare failure, the file vignette.Rnw.log will be left
in the *.Rcheck directory.  You can just copy that into the
vignette.Rout.save file.

Duncan Murdoch