[Rd] R-2.15.2 changes in computation speed. Numerical precision?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 07:55:53 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Uwe Ligges
<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Long message, but as far as I can see, this is not about base R but the
> contributed package Amelia: Please discuss possible improvements with its
> maintainer.

Thanks for answering, but I'm really surprised by your answer. The
package is a constant, but R got much slower  between R-2.15.1 and
R-2.15.2. The profile of functions called radically changed, svd gets
called much more because solve() fails much more often.

No change in R could account for it?  I'm not saying R is wrong, it
may be more accurate and better. After chasing the slowdown for a
week, I need some comfort. Does the LINPACK -> LAPACK change play a
role. The change I'm looking for is something that would substantially
tune up mathematical precision so that matrices that did not seem
singular before are now, in the eyes of functions like chol() and
solve().  Whereas in R-2.15.1, a matrix can be inverted by solve(),
for example, now R-2.15.2 rejects the matrix as singular.

I will take the problem up with applications, of course. But you see
how package writers might think its ridiculous.   They argue, "I had a
perfectly fine calculation against R-2.15.0 and R-2.15.1, and now with
R-2.15.2 it takes three times as long?  And you want me to revise my
package?"

Would you be persuaded there's an R base question if I showed you a
particular matrix that can be decomposed or solved in R-2.15.1 but
cannot be in R-2.15.2? I should have thought of that before, I suppose
:)

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director