[Rd] Could Rstd_Busy do something (src/unix/sys-std.c)?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Dec 16 04:49:18 CET 2012

On Dec 15, 2012, at 5:32 PM, Jakson Alves de Aquino wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Simon Urbanek
> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 15, 2012, at 2:20 PM, Jakson Alves de Aquino wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Based on CarbolEL, I added the following to setwidth_Start() function:
>>>
>>>   int fds[2];
>>>   if(pipe(fds))
>>>       Rprintf("pipe > 0\n");
>>>   else
>>>       Rprintf("pipe = 0\n");
>>>   ifd = fds[0];
>>>   ofd = fds[1];
>>>   addInputHandler(R_InputHandlers, ifd, &uih, 32);
>>>
>>> And, also based on CarbolEL, I created the following uih() function:
>>>
>>>   static void uih(void *data) {
>>>     char buf[16];
>>>
>>>     if(read(ifd, buf, 16) == 0){
>>>         Rprintf("read = 0 :: %s\n", buf);
>>>         Rprintf("%d written\n", write(ofd, buf, 16));
>>>     } else {
>>>         Rprintf("read != 0\n");
>>>     }
>>>   }
>>>
>>> However, the uih() function never gets called.
>>>

>> You didn't provide the signal yet - you have the initialization and
>> receiving end ready - now you need to write the piece that triggers
>> the input.
>
> It works like a charm now. If handle_winch() is called a hundred times
> while R is busy, uih() will also be called a hundred times, but only
> when R is no longer busy:

Note that you're not using the payload of the pipe at all, so you could simply just send a single byte (not that it matters but you don't need the 16-byte packets).

Also you don't want to send anything if the signal is already enqueued, it's pointless to try to send more (you could clog the pipe), so simply use a flag that you set on write and reset it on read -- if that flag is set you don't write anything. That will make sure that you get only one trigger even if more signals arrived while R is busy.  Everything is synchronous here so no need to worry.

Finally, I wouldn't mess with the signal all the time - just keep it active without touching it and use a flag to avoid re-entrance if you really think it's necessary.

Cheers,
Simon