[Rd] Found explanation for R-2.15.2 slowdown in one case; caution for any users of La_chol

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 08:37:48 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Uwe Ligges
> <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>>
>> That is the reason why R CMD check gives a WARNING in the checks of your
>> package for quite some time now:
>>
>> checking foreign function calls ... WARNING
>>
>> Foreign function calls with 'PACKAGE' argument in a base package:
>> .Call("La_chol", ..., PACKAGE = "base")
>> .Call("La_chol2inv", ..., PACKAGE = "base")
>> Packages should not make .C/.Call/.Fortran calls to base packages. They
>> are not part of the API, for use only by R itself and subject to change
>> without notice.

[snip]

> Now, when I install that, I don't see a warning. (see below).

You won't on an install.  Uwe specifically mentioned Rcmd check which
runs more tests and checks than are done during a simple install.

Rcmd check really does catch a lot (there's even been some noise on
this list that it catches *too much*) so if you're having trouble with
a package, it is probably a reasonable place to start with the most
rigorous set of package checks, and then go from there.

Cheers,

Josh

--
Joshua Wiley