[Rd] Canonical package directory name for JAR files?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Feb 9 02:08:45 CET 2012

On Feb 8, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Roebuck,Paul L wrote:

> What would be involved in modifying rJava's .jpackage() method
> to search in both locations ('java' and/or 'jars') for JAR files
> to be added to the CLASSPATH on JVM initialization?

Well, it wouldn't take much but I don't like that idea. The canonical directory as far as rJava is concerned is java.
As I said, I think S+ behavior is irrelevant for R here since it is a different philosophy (and our package system has nothing to do with S+) - their API is not even compatible to ours so it's not our fault. In addition, I think it is a bad idea to mix up the directories as S+ does.

Cheers,
Simon