[Rd] scan() doesn't like '1.#IND'

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Feb 9 02:59:22 CET 2012

Hi,

Since C++ code compiled with g++ 4.6.3 on Windows (the version included
in latest Rtools) now can produce things like '1.#IND' when writing
doubles to a file (using the << operator), I wonder whether scan()
shouldn't support those things. Right now (with recent R devel and
latest Rtools) we get errors like:

   Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
na.strings,  :
     scan() expected 'a real', got '-1.#IND'

that we didn't get with previous versions of R devel and Rtools.
See

http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.10/bioc-LATEST/BGmix/moscato2-buildsrc.html

for the details. (Note that the file containing the numeric values
is generated during the creation of the vignette.)

We don't see this error on Linux or Mac because on those platforms
the C++ code will produce 'nan' or 'inf', which are supported by
scan().

Thanks,
H.

--