[Rd] Task views (was: Re: [R] Schwefel Function Optimization)

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Feb 12 11:43:05 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Patrick Burns <pburns at pburns.seanet.com> wrote:

> Now it could be that people are not trying
> very hard to solve their own problems, but
> to be fair it is a pretty gruelling process
> to find the Task Views.
>
> May I suggest that there be a "Task Views" item
> on the left sidebar of the R website in the
> Documentation section?

 I'd go further, and suggest that the list of Task Views appears on
the home page of www.r-project.org under the heading "Look at all
these things you can do with R". (Maybe to replace the 8 year old
clustering graphic (or maybe someone could do something in ggplot2
that looks nice n shiny?) )

 "Task Views" (stupid name, who's idea was that?) are an absolute GEM
and shouldn't be slotted between 'What's New?' and "Search" on CRAN
mirror sites. The CRAN Task Views page doesn't even say what "Task
Views" are. Here's some text that might help:

 "Task Views are short documents outlining the functionality of R in a
given field or methodology. Since most of R's power comes from add-on
packages downloaded from CRAN, Task Views tend to concentrate on
summarising the packages that are relevant. If you ever find yourself
thinking 'how do I do X in R?' then the list of Task Views should be
your first stop."

Barry