[Rd] requesting a new SIG mailing list

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Feb 15 11:04:57 CET 2012

On 15/02/12 09:07, Dominik Reusser wrote:
> Dear all,
> I do think that joining efforts is a good idea. However, hydrologists will
> probably not intuitively think about joining r-sig-ecology to discuss
> hydrological issues. Could we therefore explicitely state on the infopage that
> discussions to hydrology (in addition to general  environmental data) are also
> welcome.

It would be great if Sara of someone of the maintainers of the
r-sig-ecology list could add that info to the info page.

> I don't think it is worth it, but probably the appropriate name would then be
> r-sig-env for such a list? In the description, you are also refering to the
> Environmetrics task list.

I think that r-sig-env would be much more intuitive for environmental
scientists coming from fields different from ecology, but I don't think
it is possible to change the name of an existing mailing list.

However, I'm wondering if it would be possible to create an alias termed
'r-sig-env' to 'r-sig-ecology' ?, in order to make the name of the list
more intuitive for environmental scientists but without disturbing the
current users.

> I'm wondering where we can make people aware of the fact, that hydrological
> issues are discussed on r-sig-ecology. I'm going to ask Gavin Simpson to put
> references to the list on the environmetrics task view if you agree that this
> would be useful.

I think it would be very useful to make more general the description of
the r-sig-ecology in the R mailing list page
(http://www.r-project.org/mail.html), something like:

R-sig-ecology: Using R in environmental and ecological data analysis

Also, we can announce the mailing list during our R-short
> course on hydrology at EGU. What else?

This would be great !

> Best regards!
> Dominik

All the best,

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini

FLOODS Action
Water Resources Unit (H01)
European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC)
webinfo    : http://floods.jrc.ec.europa.eu/