[Rd] Parallel R CMD check?

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:46:30 CET 2012

On 12-02-17 01:19 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 02/17/2012 01:42 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On 17/02/2012 06:50, Martin Morgan wrote:
>>> Running R CMD check on a package can take quite a lot of time. Checks
>>> seem like they could be run in parallel (separate processes for, e.g.,
>>> codoc, examples, tests, ...). Is there a way to do this? My current
>>> usage is typically
>>>
>>> R CMD build <pkg>
>>> R CMD check pkg_x.y.z.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Thanks for any hints,
>>
>> Not at present. It would need a lot of re-organization of the check.R
>> code to collect output and present it in a reasonable order. I rather
>> doubt is worth the effort: most of us with machines with large numbers
>> of cores are not just checking one package at a time, and for many
>> packages with long check times it is one aspect of the check which takes
>> most of the time.
>
> OK thank you. My own 'issue' is that the package takes ~ 20s to load
> (because of dependencies). The check process seems to load the package
> at least 10 times, so 200s in package loading. I'm thinking of this from
> a package developer perspective, rather than checking many packages.
> Obviously from my end I can work to reduce the dependencies (and their

For my own package development testing I use a make target that does
something like:
	R CMD BATCH  --vanilla tests/$(notdir $@)  $@.tmp
and then make -j  does all the tests in parallel. Of course, when the
package is actually working this means that I run the tests twice, once
individually with this target, and another time when I do R CMD check
(then again on R-forge, and then on CRAN Kurt catches something I
missed.)  So, when you are really in development mode the above target
is useful, because you get to the failure point quickly, but if
everything is working then it is slower.

Happy to share more details off-line if you want.

Paul