[Rd] portable parallel seeds project: request for critiques

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 22:44:04 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Paul Gilbert <pgilbert902 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul
>
> I think (perhaps incorrectly) of the general problem being that one wants to
> run a random experiment, on a single node, or two nodes, or ten nodes, or
> any number of nodes, and reliably be able to reproduce the experiment
> without concern about how many nodes it runs on when you re-run it.
>
> From your description I don't have the impression your solution would do
> that. Am I misunderstanding?

Well, I think my approach does that!  Each time a function runs, it grabs
a pre-specified set of seed values and initializes the R .Random.seed
appropriately.

Since I take the pre-specified seeds from the L'Ecuyer et al approach
(cite below), I believe that
means each separate stream is dependably uncorrelated and non-overlapping, both
within a particular run and across runs.

> A second problem is that you want to use a proven algorithm for generating
> the numbers. This is implicitly solved by the above, because you always get
> the same result as you do on one node with a well proven RNG. If you
> generate a string of seed and then numbers from those, do you have a proven
> RNG?

Luckily, I think that part was solved by people other than me:

L'Ecuyer, P., Simard, R., Chen, E. J. and Kelton, W. D. (2002) An
object-oriented random-number package with many long streams and
substreams. Operations Research 50 1073–5.
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~lecuyer/myftp/papers/streams00.pdf

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504