[Rd] Jazzing up the Task Views index page

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 13:58:25 CET 2012

A little while ago here we had a short discussion about Task Views - I
think ignited by someone saying 'how many times do I have to say "have
you read the Optimisation Task View?"?' and I poured some fuel on that
fire by saying "Task Views" was a stupid name.

Anyway, I did say that Task Views were rather brilliant, but were let
down by their hidden position on the R web sites (tucked away as the
third element of a sub-menu of a CRAN mirror site linked to by the
CRAN link from the Download menu on the main R home page). The index
page is rather plain, so I designed a more engaging one. The result of
my effort is now here:

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/R/TaskViews/

Having done that, I even considered that something like that could
replace the R Homepage. Giving new visitors an idea of the vast range
of techniques and application areas available in R would seem to be
better than the current graphic which has been there since perhaps
2004.

Comments, thoughts, flames, etc?

Barry