[Rd] improved error message when existing implicit S4 generic is not imported?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 09:22:09 CET 2012

I think the message is accurate [*]: you do however need to have a clear
understanding of the scoping issues involved, and no message is going to
give you that.

In short, implicit generics are converted (or not) into explicit
functions to be dumped during the dump-for-lazy-loading phase of R CMD
INSTALL: loading the namespace finds whatever function of that name is
in scope at that time, and once there are multiple functions of the same
name around, different ones may be in scope at different times.

To take one recent example from CRAN:

> library(VGAM) # fine, as VGAM loads stats4 via Depends:

and in another session

> loadNamespace('VGAM')
Error: Functions for exporting methods must have been made generic,
explicitly or implicitly; not true when loading ‘VGAM’ for ‘AIC’, ‘logLik’

since the visible function AIC() when the namespace alone is loaded is
the one in stats, not the one in stats4 which was visible when the
package was dumped for lazy-loading.

I have little idea how one could express all the possibilities for user
error in an error message like this: as the CRAN maintainers have found,
some package authors cannot comprehend even several-paragraph
explanations tailored to their specific errors.  But I might have
written something like:

The function 'plot' found when exporting methods from the namespace
'pkgB' is not an S4 generic.

Hopefully such experiences will encourage people to write NAMESPACE
files more carefully, and also to import generics from e.g. stats4 which
was long ago provided for that purpose.  (Re another message: stats4
*is* "methodsGenerics" for base packages.)

[*]  at least now that it tells you which namespace is involved, unlike
the original version ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk