[Rd] pointers on including SVN revision number in package info?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 22:45:42 CET 2012

On 12-01-06 3:24 PM, Ben Bolker wrote:

>    I'm trying to keep debugging of a development package relatively sane.
>
>    I see that some packages manage to incorporate what appears to be
> Subversion (SVN) revision information in the package description; for
> example,
>
>> library(MASS)
>> sessionInfo()$otherPkgs$MASS$Revision
> [1] "$Rev: 3016 $"
>
>    which looks like an auto-generated revision number.
>
>    On the other hand, the rgl package (for example) appears to manually
> encode the SVN revision in the package number:
>
>> library(rgl)
>> sessionInfo()$otherPkgs$rgl$Version
> [1] "0.92.829"

Yes, those are done manually.

>    I'd love an automatic strategy, if possible, so I can be lazy about
> updating the DESCRIPTION file every time I commit a change to SVN ...
> I searched the R extensions manual (and the r-forge manual), but I'm
> sure I could have missed something ...

I'd like one that produced an R version number directly, but I think
Dirk's script is the only way to do it, and I forget how to use such
scripts five minutes after I write them.

>    Or can people suggest other useful strategies for keeping track of
> which development (micro-)version a random user might be working with?

R-forge sometimes gets out of sync in what it displays as the revision,
the Version, and what it actually offers as the "Package source" (let
alone binaries), so I find putting the revision into the version number
very helpful.  But I often forget to do it...

Duncan Murdoch