[Rd] serializing recordedplot object

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 10 15:17:15 CET 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 1:06 AM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:

> The underlying problem turns out to be serialization of objects of
> class "NativeSymbolInfo". When these are serialized and unserialized,
> the memory address turns into a nullpointer, causing the fail. To fix
> it, one can simply create new nativeSymbolInfo objects. E.g:
>
> # The old example:
> library(lattice);
> histogram(rnorm(100));
> x <- recordPlot();
> saveRDS(x, "myplot.rds");
> y <- readRDS("myplot.rds");
>
> # y contains nullpointers making it fail.
> print(y);
>
> # To fix:
> for(i in 1:length(y[[1]])) {
>  if( "NativeSymbolInfo" %in% class(y[[1]][[i]][[2]][[1]]) ){
>    y[[1]][[i]][[2]][[1]] <- getNativeSymbolInfo(y[[1]][[i]][[2]][[1]]$name);
>  }
> }
> print(y);
>
> Now this works, but it is a bit ugly. Is there a more general method
> of serializing objects in a way that native objects are restored where
> possible?

Unfortunately R doesn't provide a way for this. Without changes to unserialization (on the wishlist for a few years now, but not easy to design) the best you can do is to check the native symbols for NULL pointers on usage and then re-fetch - that's something that could be done reasonably easily, although it's still a hack ...