[Rd] Copying objects prior to .Call

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 11 19:03:24 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Taylor Arnold wrote:
>
>> R-devel,
>>
>> I have noticed that making a copy of an object in R prior to using
>> .Call on the original object can
>> cause the C code to alter not only the object passed to it but also
>> the copy in R.

> Please see the docs - .Call does *NOT* have a DUP argument - you are responsible for duplication at all times if you make modifications (e.g. using duplicate()).

Except that duplicate will create a new SEXPREC and the original
poster wanted to modify the SEXPREC passed through a pointer in .Call.

Purposely changing the value of arguments to .Call is a bad design,
Taylor.  R is a functional language and this breaks the functional
semantics. It is the sort of thing that you do only when you can't
think of a better approach.  It may, perhaps, be justified if the R
objects you are passing happen to be fields in a reference class (see
?setRefClass) but otherwise it is just opening yourself up to errors.
At the level of C/C++ all R objects passed as arguments to .Call
should be regarded as

const SEXP