[Rd] Failure to get compactPDF to compact a pdf file

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 24 09:30:38 CET 2012

I am failing to get compactPDF to make any change to a pdf file
that, a/c to the message from the CRAN upload site, can be very
substantially compacted.  Any ideas what may be wrong?

I have also tried recreating the pdf file.  I also tried
R CMD build --resave-data --compact-vignettes DAAG

The data files compact alright (but I get the 'significantly better compression'
warning message that might suggest that this is not happening), but the pdf
file appears to go into the package unmodified.

<<<<
> tools::compactPDF('/Users/johnm/packages/DAAG/inst/doc/', gs_quality = "ebook")
> dir('/Users/johnm/packages/DAAG/inst/doc/')
[1] "rockArt.pdf"
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.14.1

From the Unix command line:
jhm:doc johnm$ ls -lt /Users/johnm/packages/DAAG/inst/doc
total 1368
-rw-r--r--@ 1 johnm  staff  696762  2 Aug 12:35 rockArt.pdf

Message from the CRAN upload site:

* checking sizes of PDF files under ‘inst/doc’ ... NOTE
 ‘gs’ made some significant size reductions:
    compacted ‘rockArt.pdf’ from 680Kb to 58Kb
 consider running tools::compactPDF(gs_quality = "ebook") on these files

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm