[Rd] [R] x11() graphic device, displaying raster

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Wed Jan 25 16:44:25 CET 2012

> >> (16-January-2012).
> >> i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)) and raster version 1.9-64
> (16-January-2012).

> >> I do not really understand why you are using x11(). The Windows device
> >> is called windows() and you actually do not need to open it, since plot
> >> opens it anyway. Or are you under cygwin (which is not really Windows)?
> >> If not: Which version of Windows is this?
> >
> > Of course I do not need to open a graphic device (as you said it is open
> when calling plot). I just wanted to make it reproducable as e.g. Mac OS X
> opens Quartz as a standard device when calling plot on my Mac machine.
> >
> > So far as I understand the help are "all the devices (X11(), x11() and
> windows() implemented as variants of the same device". Thus it makes no
> difference if I call x11() or windows() or if 'plot' opens the device
> automatically. In all cases there is no raster displayed.
> >
> > Just some additional information from the 'grDevices' package:
> >> library(grDevices)
> >> dev.capabilities()
> > $semiTransparency
> > [1] TRUE
> >
> > $transparentBackground
> > [1] "fully"
> >
> > $rasterImage
> > [1] "yes"
> >
> > $capture
> > [1] TRUE
> >
> > $locator
> > [1] TRUE
> >
> > $events
> > [1] "MouseDown" "MouseMove" "MouseUp"   "Keybd"
> >
> > I am running R via the standard RGUI (so no Eclipse, Rtinn etc.). The
> machine I am working on is Windows 2008 Server Enterprise (Version 6.0) which
> I am remotely accessing from a ThinClient with WindowsXP-embedded.
> > This is the standard configuration of our institution. Maybe that
> configuration with ThinClients is a reason? But what should I ask our admin? What
> should he check etc?
>
> Yes! the remotesoftware is probably unable to send the rasterimage!
>
> See ?image:
>
> "Problems with the rendering of raster images have been reported using
> ‘windows()’ devices under Remote Desktop."

I shifted this corresponce over to the more suitable r-devel-list.

@Uwe Ligges: Thank you for that usefull but very disappointing message. So it seems that these are know problems caused by the RemoteDesktop Setup.

I just wanted to know if the source of the problem is caused by the R-code or the RemoteDesktop Software. If it is caused by the RemoteDesktop (as you stated)..are there any settings which need to be set by our IT-admin? Or is there anything I/we can do to solve that problem?

Best regards,

Johannes