[Rd] ftable.formula

Brett Presnell presnell at stat.ufl.edu
Thu Jan 26 23:31:54 CET 2012

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this
report/request, and for the fact that I have not read the code for
ftable.formula in any detail.

>From reading the documentation for ftable.formula, I expected that the
following two calls to ftable would produce the same results:

data(UCBAdmissions)
ftable(UCBAdmissions, row.vars = "Dept", col.vars = c("Gender", "Admit"))
ftable(UCBAdmissions, Gender + Admit ~ Dept)

Is this a bug or the intended behavior?  I prefer the formula interface,
so I would be happiest if the output was the same for the two calls.
However, if this is the intended behavior, then I think that the
documentation should be clearer on this point.

FWIW:

platform       x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          14.1
year           2011
month          12
day            22
svn rev        57956
language       R
version.string R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)