[Rd] serialize/unserialize vector improvement

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 10:55:53 CET 2012

On 22/01/2012 13:56, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> This has languished for a long time, and we should make a decision
> before FF for 2.15.0.
>
> It seems to me that in so far as there is a problem, it is that we
> serialize via XDR, and that since that was invented little-endian CPUs
> have taken over the world. So for the only cases I can imagine this is
> really a problem (passing objects in 'parallel'/snow ... contexts) a
> better answer might be to pass without byte-reordering: go back to the
> RDB format which was exposed for save() but AFAIK never for serialize.
>
> I would say Sparc is the only big-endian platform left (some PPC Mac
> users may disagree), so little-endian really does rule.

This does all seem to depend on the quality of the platform's XDR
implementation: for example, a similar example runs twice as fast on
x86_64 Mac OS X as on i386 R on the same machine.

On all the (little-endian) platforms I tried not using XDR
(serialize(xdr = FALSE)) made an improvement of around 3x.  On some a
version of Spiegel's patch helped equally and on others it made a much
smaller improvement.  In the best-case scenario (i386 OS X) there was a
10x improvement.  But that is only going to be noticeable in rare
applications.

A version of Spiegel's idea (with changes confined to just one file)
will appear in R-devel shortly.