[Rd] Sweave driver extension

Kevin R. Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:07:59 CET 2012

I prefer the code chunks myself.

Function calls have overhead. In a bioinformatics world with large
datasets and an R default that uses call-by-value rather than
call-by-reference, the function calls may have a _lot_ of overhead.
Writing the functions to make sure they use call-by-reference for the
large objects instead has a different kind of overhead in the stress it
puts on the writers and maintainers of code.

But then, I'm old enough to have looked at some of Knuth's source code
for TeX and read his book on Literate Programming, where the ideas of
"weave" and "tangle" were created for exactly the kind of application
that Terry asked about.  Knuth's fundamental idea here is that the
documentation (mainly the stuff processed through "weave") is created
for humans, while the executable code (in Knuth's view, the stuff
created by "tangle") is intended for computers.  If you want people to
understand the code, then you often want to use a top-down approach that
outlines the structure -- code chunks with forward references work
perfectly for this purpose.

One of the difficulties in mapping Knuth's idea over to R and Sweave is
that the operations of weave and tangle have gotten, well, tangled.
Sweave does not just prepare the documentation; it also executes the
code in order to put the results of the computation into the
documentation.  In order to get the forward references to work with
Sweave, you would have to makes two passes through the file: one to make
sure you know where each named chunk is and build a cross-reference
table, and one to actually execute the code in the correct order.  That
would presumably also require a major rewrite of Sweave.

The solution I use is to cheat and hide the chunks initially and reveal
them later to get the output that want. This comes down to combining
eval, echo, keep.source, and expand in the right combinations. Something
like:

%%%%%%%%
% set up a prologue that contains the code chunks. Do not evaluate or
display them.
<<coxme-check-arguments,echo=FALSE,eval=FALSE>>=
# do something sensible. If multiple steps, define them above here
# using the same idea.
@
% also define the other code chunks here

\section{Start the First Section}

The \texttt{coxme} function is defined as follows:
<<coxme,keep.source=TRUE,expand=FALSE>>=
coxme <- function(formula, data, subset, blah blah  ){
<<coxme-check-arguments>>
<<coxme-build>>
<<coxme-compute>>
<<coxme-finish>>
}
@

Argument checking is important:
<<name-does-not-matter-since-not-reused,eval=FALSE,expand=TRUE>>=
<<coxme-check-arguments>>=
@
% Describe the other chunks here

%%%%%%%%