[Rd] Dependency problem for "hasArg"

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jul 2 19:00:41 CEST 2012

On 2 July 2012 at 09:23, Charlie Friedemann wrote:
| The error message you are getting makes it rather clear what the problem is.
| R is unable to find the function 'hasArg'.  As the hasArg function is part
| of the package 'methods', a solution would be to put require(methods) at the
| beginning of your script.
|
| For whatever reason, loading R via Rscript does not load the base package
| "methods" whereas loading the R console does. I'm not entirely sure why this
| is the case, and I'm sure someone who knows more about the differences
| between the two could chime in here.

That was a design decision in Rscript as loading 'methods' is slow.  And
FWIW, littler does the same:

  edd at max:~$ r -e'print(search())'
  [1] ".GlobalEnv"   "Autoloads"    "package:base"
  edd at max:~$ r -lmethods -e'print(search())'
  [1] ".GlobalEnv"      "package:methods" "Autoloads"       "package:base"
  edd at max:~$

Dirk