[Rd] Understanding tracemem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 19:01:40 CEST 2012

Read the help carefully as to what 'copy' means:

      When an object is traced any copying of the object by the C
      function ‘duplicate’ produces a message to standard output, as
      does type coercion and copying when passing arguments to ‘.C’ or
      ‘.Fortran’.

If you want to understand when 'duplicate' is called, you need to read
the source code.  File src/main/subassign.c will explain the different
paths taken by your two cases.  But isn't it rather obvious that
duplicating x is not useful when a new longer vector needs to be created?

(BTW, in earlier versions of R tracemem reported some transformations of
x to objects of the same length, but not at all consistently.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk