[Rd] installing spam package is failing (spam_0.29-1)

Wed Jul 18 20:21:06 CEST 2012

Hello Chuckles the Clone,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM, chuckles the clone
<frobnutz at sogetthis.com> wrote:
> Thanks! But no. sources.list already contains:
> deb http://http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/

Could you please copy/paste your /etc/apt/sources.list file here? I
guess what you wrote above is a typo, but it's also wrong -- it would
be easier for us to help you that way, I reckon.

> Is there some way of installing a version of this "spam" library which
> is compatible with the version of R that apt-get insists on installing?

You could likely just install it yourself via a call to
`install.packages('spam')`

I reckon you will probably need to `sudo apt-get install r-base-dev`
since it seems (I didn't d/l the package to check) that you'll have to
compile fortran/c code.

Which means you'll also need gcc/gfortran installed.

> (also, who decided to name this thing "spam"? i suppose it seemed
> cute at the time but it is virtually impossible to google for. )

That would be the author of the package.

--
Steve Lianoglou