[Rd] large dataset - confused

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:46:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM, walcotteric <walcott3 at msu.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to load a dataset into R, but I'm completely lost. This is
> probably due mostly to the fact that I'm a complete R newb, but it's got me
> stuck in  a research project.
> I've tried just opening the text file in WordPad and copying the data
> directly into R, but it's too big and causes the program to crash.
>
> Any suggestions or assistance? I'm kinda desperate and lost.

Sure. First of all, you  need to post to the R-help list, not the R-devel list.

Then you need to read the Intro to R that came with R when you installed it.

Then you need to read the posting guide for R-help, and provide the
requested information, including:
how big is your dataset?
what format is it in? (text file isn't very informative)
what R commands have you used? (read.table() perhaps)
and so on.

Also, what do you mean by "crash"? R stops working? You get an error message?

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org