[Rd] Encoding errors in Rd files

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:04:04 CEST 2012

On 12-07-25 3:24 AM, steven mosher wrote:
> Thank Dr. Ripley.
>
>   When I read the instructions
> " If the DESCRIPTION file is not entirely in ASCII it should contain an ‘
> Encoding’ field specifying an encoding. This is used as the encoding of the
> DESCRIPTION file itself and of the R and NAMESPACE files, and as the
> default encoding of .Rd files.  "
>
> I assumed that I should specify an encoding of UTF-8 in the description
> file to handle the specific Rd files that were having problems.
>
> After I removed  the encoding field (UTF-8)  I had added to the DESCRIPTION
> file, the following error no longer occurred
>
> "  Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
> (inputenc)                in inputencoding `utf8'. "
>
> however the rd files still had errors.
>
>     looking at the latex versions of the Rd files I was able to spot which
> characters in the Rd files
> were offending. In my normal editor they were simply not showing up, so I
> had no idea what characters were
> causing the problem.
>
> The only thing I am left with is the entries in the data frame. The package
> came with some predefined  .rda files
> in its data subdirectory.  Using encoding() on  the column of the data
> frame that contains the following items
>
>   checking data for non-ASCII characters ... WARNING
>     Warning: found non-ASCII string(s)
>     'Tourbihre de la Rivihre-aux-Feu' in object 'modpoll'
>     'Lac ` la Fourche' in object 'modpoll'
>     'Lac ` la Loutre' in object 'modpoll'
>     'Lac Kinogami' in object 'modpoll'
>
> I get "unknown"  for all the items.  So, If I understand you I should take
> this dataframe, change the encoding
> to UTF-8.

The issue is almost certainly with accented characters in the text.  For
example, the 5th letter in Rivière is an e with a grave accent.  It is
displayed as "h" in your error message, because R was not told how to
interpret the way it is stored in the source file, or was told something
that turned out to be incorrect.

You need to change the source file so that it is stored in the UTF-8
encoding.  That means you should read the file into an editor that
displays it correctly (and that's sometimes hard when you don't know the
original encoding; you may need to do some manual editing), then save it
again, specifying that it should be saved using the UTF-8 encoding.  How
you do that depends on your editor.

Then when you tell R that it is encoded in UTF-8, R will read it
properly and won't complain.

The tools::showNonASCIIfile() function can help to find characters that
may need fixing.  R can recognize when things are not ASCII (those bytes
have the high bit set), but it will be up to you to figure out what
encoding was actually used.  For French, latin1 is a good guess but it
is not necessarily right.

Duncan Murdoch