[Rd] Problem in vignette packaging of Sweave in utils package

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 22:55:53 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12-07-27 1:23 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> New help request below
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Turns out there was a bug in the code to install from tarballs, so base
>>> package vignettes weren't fully installed.  I've fixed it; installs from
>>> R-patched or R-devel revisions after 59750 should be okay.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch
>>>

>> Thanks, Duncan
>>
>> Can I ask you to check this one again?
>

> Sorry, I can't help with this.  If you build from svn or from a tarball,
> then I could help, but someone else produces the rpms, and I don't have
> access to a Linux system to try them.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Sorry I was unclear. I did build from R-patched tarball, from here:

ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-patched_2012-07-25.tar.gz

I get the same result whether I build that into an RPM or if I build
and install the "old fashioned" way (configure, make, make install).
The Sweave pdf is created, but not found inside R.

I just re-ran the compilation in an Emacs shell and you can see
everything that goes on:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/misc/R-patched-build-20120725.txt

As you will see, I run into problems with pdf creation in

make pdf

dealing with refman. I think that links back to the ancient tetex
toolkit and the lack of incolsolata font.  If that is the reason R
can't find the vignette, I would be glad to know.

I do get the Sweave.pdf vignette created, just not indexed.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director