[Rd] possible bug in "R Editor"

Wincent ronggui.huang at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:10:49 CEST 2012

Dear Professor Ripley, I understand that it is not a real reproducible
example, which may require a Chinese OS. I guess that problem is the
routine does not consider the encoding issue by default. If I open an
existing file and save it rather than save a new file, the editor can
handle it appropriately even the file path contains wide characters.

Best
Ronggui

On 1 June 2012 00:50, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 31/05/2012 07:04, Wincent wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I clicked "File-New Script" to open a R Editor, typed some commands in
>> it and then saved it to a file. If the location where I tried to save
>> the script contained Chinese Character, R Editor complained,
>>
>> Error: invalid input 'E:\Some.Chinese.Characters\new_file.R' in
>> 'utf8towcs'
>>

>>> sessionInfo()
>>
>> R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
>> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_COLLATE=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
>> [2] LC_CTYPE=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
>> [3] LC_MONETARY=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
>> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [5] LC_TIME=Chinese (Simplified)_People's Republic of China.936
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

>> [1] tools_2.15.0
>

> It is not a bug in the editor. It may be a bug in iconv or other parts of
> the handling of wide characters in the save routine.  I can see how the code
> can be simplified, but we really need to be able to reproduce this, and
> surely that was not the real example.  (One of the problems is that the
> editor title has to be in the native encoding, so this has to be done in a
> Chinese version of Windows.)
>
> --
> Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
> Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
> University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
> 1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

Wincent Ronggui HUANG
Sociology Department of Fudan University
PhD of City University of Hong Kong
http://homepage.fudan.edu.cn/rghuang/cv/