[Rd] Requests for vignette clarification (re: Writing R Extensions)

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 15:29:33 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Paul Gilbert <pgilbert902 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll make a guess at some parts of this.
>

> On 12-06-01 02:53 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> I apologize that these questions are stupid and literal.
>>
>> I write to ask for clarification of comments in the R extensions
>> manual about vignettes.  I'm not great at LaTeX, but I'm not a
>> complete novice either, and some of the comments are puzzling to me.
>>
>> 1. I'm stumbling over this line:
>>
>> "Make sure all files needed to run the R code in the vignette (data
>> sets, ...) are accessible by either placing them in the inst/doc
>> hierarchy of the source package or by using calls to system.file()."
>>
>> Where it says "inst/doc", can I interpret it to mean "vignettes"?  The
>> vignette files are under vignettes. Why wouldn't those other files be
>> in there? Or does that mean I'm supposed to copy the style and bib
>> files from the vignettes folder to the inst/doc folder?  Or none of
>> the above :)
>

> I think the idea is that a user looking at an installed version of the
> package will be able to see things that are in the doc/ directory of the
> installed package. This automatically includes the source files (eg *.Stex)
> from vignettes/ and also the generated *.pdf and the *.R files stripped from
> the *.Stex files. If you want them to have access to other files then you
> should put those somewhere so they get installed, such as in the source
> package /inst/doc directory so they get put in the doc/ directory of the
> installed package. That should probably include anything else that is
> important to reproduce the results in the vignette, but I do not count the
> .bib file in that list (so I have it in vignettes/ and users would need to
> look at the package source to find it).
>

>> 2. I'm also curious about the implications of the parenthesized
>> section of this comment:
>>
>> "By default R CMD build will run Sweave on all files in Sweave format
>> in vignettes, or if that does not exist, inst/doc (but not in
>> sub-directories)."
>>
>> At first I though that meant it will search vignettes and
>> subdirectories under vignettes, or it will look under inst/doc, but no
>> subdirectories under inst/doc.  So I created vignettes in
>> subdirectories under vignettes and they are ignored by the build
>> process, so that was obviously wrong.  For clarification, it would
>> help me if the manual said
>>
>> "By default R CMD build will run Sweave on all files in Sweave format
>> in vignettes (but not in sub-directories), or if that does not exist,
>> inst/doc ."
>>
>> In this list I've read several questions/complaints from people who
>> don't want their vignettes rebuild during the package check or build
>> process, and I wondered if there is a benefit to having vignettes in
>> subdirectories.   Could inclusion of troublesome vignettes in
>> subdirectories be a way that people can circumvent the rebuilding and
>> re-checking of vignettes during build, check, or install?  If I build
> [...]

I got to the bottom of the problem that made me ask. I had a package
that failed build check. I wrote the vignette in LyX and when I add a
bibliography file in LyX, it adds a full path, not just {rockchalk},
in the Rnw file.

\bibliography{0_home_pauljohn_SVN_rgroup_trunk_rockchalk_rockchalk_vignettes_rockchalk}

LyX does that because it runs its builds in a temporary folder.

When it is like that, the vignette builds for me, but it does not
survive the package check because the check  won't go looking on the
long path.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director