[Rd] problem in compililng c code using R CMD SHLIB

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 20:08:01 CEST 2012

On 06/06/2012 18:12, Joshua Ulrich wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Simon Urbanek
> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>  wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 6, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Arathy Ram wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> I was trying to compile a simple C program hello.c using R CMD SHLIB
>>> hello.c.
>>> MY R software residing in C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.0, and also I have
>>> downloaded the Rtools 2.15.0 and it is in C:\Rtools, MY file(hello.c) is in
>>> E:\R_dir.
>>> I have followed the procedures given below
>>> 1. In a new CMD.exe window I have set the path as
>>>
>>> c:\ Rtools\bin; C:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.0\bin
>>>
>>> 2. I have changed the directory to E:\ where my file(hello.c) is residing
>>> E:\>cd \R_dir
>>> then I have given the command like this
>>> E:\>cd \R_dir>  R CMD SHLIB hello.c
>>> Then I am getting the following message
>>> cygwin warning:
>>> MS-DOS style path detected: E:/PROGRA~1/R/R-214~1.0/etc/
>>> i386/Makeconf
>>> Preferred POSIX equivalent is:
>>> /cygdrive/e/PROGRA~1/R/R-214~1.0/etc/i386/Makeconf
>>> CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>>> warning.
>>> Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>>> Even though I have gone through several discussions in the same topic I am
>>> not able to resolve my problem. It would be a great help if somebody knows
>>> what exactly the problem and its solution and favorable suggestions.
>>
>> There is no problem in what you posted - all you posted is merely
>> a  note from cygwin that it prefers different path style, but it's
perfectly ok and doesn't affect anything.

Or put another way, the problem is a user read failure: see below.

 >> So what exactly is the problem you're having?
>>
> Probably has something to do with PATH not being set correctly because
> the Cygwin warning points to R-2.14.0 on E:, not R-2.15.0 on C:.

But as for the note, it *is* discussed in the appropriate manual. Search
for 'nodosfilewarning' in
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#The-command-line-tools .
  You most likely will need to set that environment variable.

See what the posting guide has to say about doing your own homework.

fortunes::fortune(14) applies.

The author of the docs you discourteously ignored (and much else you are
using).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk