[Rd] 7 arguments passed to .Internal(identical) which requires 6

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 10:57:59 CEST 2012

On 06/06/2012 21:04, peter dalgaard wrote:
> FYI, Brian has backed out the changes to identical() in r59533 of R-patched. Please retry your test codes with the new version. (Due to some ISP mess-up, Brian is temporarily unable to reply in detail himself.)
>
> -pd

Some comments (now my ISP has repaired its network and I can send from
the machine on which I did this):

- AFAICS this only applies to binary distributions, not mentioned by the OP.

- There has never been any guarantee of forwards compatibility.  If you
want a package to run under 2.x.y, install it under 2.x.y.  There is
limited support for backwards compatibility, so packages installed under
2.x.y will _normally_ run under 2.x.z for z > y.

So the whining appeared to be specious: if BioC want to distribute
binary packages which run under all 2.15.x, they need to build them
under 2.15.0, *and* check that they run under later versions.  (AFAIK
the CRAN binary package providers expect users to be using the current
version of R.)

R-patched should be thought of as having an intermediate version number
for this purpose, e.g. currently > 2.15.0, < 2.15.1.

- The issue is package installations which copy code from the current
version of R into the package. That is not a good idea, and in general
not recommended.  We see 3 main circumstances:

+ S4 methods.  This was first reported many years ago, and bites
frequently.  It was deemed a 'feature'.  The usual instance is that the
default method is copied from a function in another contributed package
which is subsequently updated, but it can also apply to the packages in
R itself.

+ Some packages making functions into S3 default methods.  The advice
there has changed a while ago, to write a wrapper instead of using
foo.default <- base::foo
but there are lots of packages not doing that.

+ Byte compilation, which in some cases removes the closure wrappers
from simple .Internal calls, and so captures the .Internal call at the
time of compilation.

- In the particular case of identical(), the C code has generally been
written for backwards and attempted future compatibility, but that was
not the case for the version in 2.15.0.  (It is the case for the version
in R-devel and that now in R-patched: I didn't back out all the changes.)

But because identical() seems to be captured more than we anticipated
and the change was not that important, I reverted it.  But if a similar
change is needed for an important enough bug fix, it will go into
R-patched (and there is one there now).

So the general principles are

- install a package under the current version of R, or perhaps an
earlier patch release of the same series.  If using R-devel, be prepared
to re-install any package you use (in practice this is rare: for example
XML, compositions, timeDate and timeSeries needed to be re-installed
since 2-15-branch was branched).

- if any dependency of an S4-using package changes, re-install the
package.  And this includes the standard packages (which is why they
should be listed in Depends:).   Uwe's CRAN Windows binary builder does
do that, so you may need to re-install the binary package even though
its version number has not changed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk