[Rd] 7 arguments passed to .Internal(identical) which requires 6

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Thu Jun 7 14:44:15 CEST 2012

>>> That field is documented under the description of a *source* package
>>> (see the first line of section 1.1, and it is in that section) and is
>>> simply copied from the source package for binary installs.  It is the
>>> extra line added to the DESCRIPTION file, e.g.
>>>
>>> Built: R 2.15.0; x86_64-pc-mingw32; 2012-04-02 09:27:07 UTC; windows
>>>
>>> that tells you the version a binary package was built under
>>> (approximately for R-patched and R-devel), and library() checks.
>>
>> I'm fairly sure I understand all that. I'm still missing something more
>> basic probably. Consider the follow workflow :
>>
>> I look on CRAN at package boot. Its webpage states "Depends R (>=
>> 2.14.0)". I'm a user running R and I know I use 2.14.1, so I think great
>> can use it. I install it as follows.
>>
>>> version
>> version.string R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
>>> install.packages("boot")
>> trying URL
>> 'http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/bin/windows/contrib/2.14/boot_1.3-4.zip'
>> Content type 'application/zip' length 469615 bytes (458 Kb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 458 Kb
>>
>> package ‘boot’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>
>>> require(boot)
>> Warning message:
>> package ‘boot’ was built under R version 2.14.2
>>>

>> Does this mean that CRAN maintainers expect me to run the latest version
>> of the major release I'm using (R 2.14.2 in this case), not the current
>> release of R (R 2.15.0 currently) as you wrote earlier?   If that's the
>> case I never realised it before, but that seems very reasonable.  When I
>> ran the above just now I expected it to say "package 'boot' was built
>> under R version 2.15.0".  But it didn't, it said 2.14.2.  So it seems to
>> be my misunderstanding.
>
> 2.15.x and 2.14.x are different series, with different binary repos.

Thanks. So CRAN will continue to build and check new versions of packages
using R 2.14.2 in the 2.14.x repo, whilst R 2.15.x progresses separately.
I'm familiar with r-oldrel results on CRAN package check results page, but
for some reason I had missed the nuance there's a binary repo too for
r-oldrel. That's great.

Matthew