[Rd] x11 icon and class

Philip Johnson plfjohnson at emory.edu
Thu Jun 7 21:05:17 CEST 2012

The X11 device driver does not provide the X window manager with an icon
(_NET_WM_ICON) or, under some circumstances, with a class (WM_CLASS).
This hinders usability under the new stable version of Ubuntu, which has
a (new) user interface centered around icons.

I am not sure if this was a conscious choice by r-core or simply a low
priority.  In case of the latter, I attach a patch against R-devel (as
of 6 June) that specifies:
   1) _NET_WM_ICON as a slightly tweaked version of Rlogo-5.png  (48x48
pixels, circle filled-in with white to be legible; ARGB data hardcoded
as a constant array in a new file "rlogo_icon.h").
   2) WM_CLASS (for reasons unclear to me, previously WM_CLASS was only
set #ifndef USE_Xt)
As Ubuntu is the single most popular linux distribution, perhaps others
will find this patch useful.  I have tested on both 32- and 64-bit
versions of linux.

Regards,
Philip