[Rd] Convert "\" to "/"?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Jun 10 03:40:02 CEST 2012

Hello, All:

	  I have for years copied an address like "C:\Program
Files\R\R-2.15.0\library\MASS\scripts" from Windows Explorer into R,
then manually replaced "\" with "/".  I have a function to automate this
added to the development version of "sos".  However, it generates a
warning in "R CMD check" ("parse error:  unexpected input").  I have so
far not found a way to eliminate the warning without wrapping examples
in "\dontrun" or making the examples hard to understand;  neither of
these alternatives are acceptable.

	  The following is my current solution:

back2ForwardSlash <- function(nmax=1, what=character(), sep='\n', ...){
   x2 <- scan(what=what, nmax=nmax, sep=sep, ...)
   x. <- gsub('\\', '/', x2, fixed = TRUE)
}
(x <- back2ForwardSlash())
c:\Users\
all.equal(x, 'c:/Users/')
# TRUE
x2. <- back2ForwardSlash(2)
c:\u\a b\n o
d:/pqr/
all.equal(x2., c('c:/u/a b/n o', 'd:/pqr/'))
# TRUE

QUESTION:  Might anyone have a better solution and / or simple, clear
examples that do not generate a warning in "R CMD check"?

NOTE:  In case you want to try this development version of "sos"
including this function, it is available via "svn checkout
svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/rsitesearch/" or
install.packages('sos', repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org").

	  Thanks,
	  Spencer

p.s.  Prof. Ripley provided a way to do this on R-help several years
ago.  Unfortunately, I've been unable to find his solution.