[Rd] Have download.packages consider non-CRAN repositories

Ingmar Schuster ingmar.schuster at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jun 21 14:39:15 CEST 2012

2012/6/21 Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>:
> On 12-06-21 5:58 AM, Ingmar Schuster wrote:
>>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I've set up a CRAN-like repository (not a CRAN mirror) on the local
>> filesystem (this will change to http in the future). R has been told
>> about this repository using the following entry in
>> R_HOME/etc/repositories:
>> PMR2    PMR2    file:///Users/arbeit/Documents/clarin/Open_Science/PMR2/
>> TRUE    TRUE    FALSE   FALSE
>>
>> Now I expected download.packages(), install.packages() etc. to look
>> for packages in "/Users/arbeit/Documents/clarin/Open_Science/PMR2/"
>> without passing them repos="file:///Users/..." as an option. That
>> doesn't happen and I'm not completely sure why. Did I misinterpret the
>> role of R_HOME/etc/repositories or is it possible I made a mistake?
>>
>> A related question is this: my PMR2 repo provides source packages
>> only. Is there a way to tell a lokal R installation to look for source
>> packages _only_ for this specific repo and use binary packages for
>> CRAN?
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>> Ingmar
>>

> You need to set the "repos" option to change the default repository. The
> setRepositories() function does that using the file you edited.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

setRepositories() shows my repo to be one of the defaults (this can be
set in the repositories file, which I did). Doesn't work anyway. One
strange thing though is that setRepositories() doesn't give the
correct name that I configured, just "NA".

Ingmar

--
Ingmar Schuster
Natural Language Processing Group