[Rd] globalVariables()

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jun 24 16:57:46 CEST 2012

Dear r-devel list members,

To answer my own question, replacing <<- with explicit assign()s seem to do the trick.

As well, the quickly written function that I posted had a couple of problems (and may well have more, though the version posted below works on the packages I tried); here's an improved version:

----------- snip -----------

findGlobals <- function(filein="00check.log", fileout="globals.R"){
  checklog <- readLines(filein)
  whichline <- which(grepl("checking R code for possible problems .* NOTE", checklog))
  checklog <- checklog[-(1:whichline)]
  whichline <- which(grepl("checking Rd files", checklog))
  checklog <- checklog[-(whichline:length(checklog))]
  globals <- gsub(".*no visible binding for global variable[ ]*", "", checklog)
  globals <- gsub(".*no visible global function definition for[ ]*", "", globals)
  globals <- gsub(".*no visible binding for '<<-' assignment to[ ]*", "", globals)
  globals <- globals[globals != ""]
  globals <- sub("^ *", "", globals)
  globals <- sub(" *$", "", globals)
  whichentries <- which(grepl(":", globals))
  if (length(whichentries > 1)) globals <- globals[-whichentries]
  globals <- gsub(".* ", "", globals)
  globals <- unique(globals)
  cmd <- paste("if (getRversion() >= '2.15.1') globalVariables(c(",
               paste(globals, collapse=", "), "))", sep="")
  cmd <- strwrap(cmd)
  writeLines(cmd, fileout)
}

Best,
 John

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:51:55 -0400
 "John Fox" <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> Dear r-devel list members,
>
> By placing a call to the new (with R 2.15.1) globalVariables() in the development version of the Rcmdr package, I've succeeded in reducing the "notes" produced by R CMD check from dozens to two. But I still get the following notes, even though '.commander.done' is in the call to globalVariables():

. . .