[Rd] An extreme quantile of the geometric distribution

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 16:15:13 CEST 2012

On Jun 30, 2012, at 12:13 , <michael.baudin at contrib.scilab.org> <michael.baudin at contrib.scilab.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry, I do not clearly understand.
>
> I'm aware that the source is available at :
>
> http://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/nmath/qgeom.c

Yes, but you were suggesting that non-use of log1p caused the problem, and the source clearly uses it, so I assumed that you didn't check.

> But a good source does not mean a correct result, because of compilation issues. Moreover, I do not fully understand why the 1e-7 coefficient in the formula was put there. The comment "add a fuzz to ensure left continuity" is not obvious to me.

I never implied that there wasn't a problem.

The gist of the comment it is that we want to ensure that (for moderate i at least)

qgeom(pgeom(i,.1),.1)==i

and that slightly lower values should also give i, whereas higher values give i+1:

> qgeom(pgeom(1,.1),.1)
[1] 1
> qgeom(pgeom(1,.1)-.01,.1)
[1] 1
> qgeom(pgeom(1,.1)+.01,.1)
[1] 2

However, floating point calculations being what they are, we don't trust equality, so we move the cutpoint a little -- apparently a little too much.