[Rd] Julia

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 1 18:37:27 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Jeffrey Ryan <jeffrey.ryan at lemnica.com> wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Agreed on the interesting point - looks like it has some real promise.
>  I think the spike in interest could be attributable to Mike
> Loukides's tweet on Feb 20. (editor at O'Reilly)
>
> https://twitter.com/#!/mikeloukides/status/171773229407551488
>
> That is exactly the moment I stumbled upon it.

I think Jeff Bezanson attributes the interest to a blog posting by
Viral Shah, another member of the development team, that hit Reddit.
He said that, with Viral now in India, it all happened overnight for
those in North America and he awoke the next day to find a firestorm
of interest.  I ran across Julia in the Release Notes of LLVM and
mentioned it to Dirk Eddelbuettel who posted about it on Google+ in
January.  (Dirk, being much younger than I, knows about these
new-fangled social media things and I don't.)