[Rd] Julia

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Mar 6 17:44:49 CET 2012

S (and its derivatives and successors) promises that functions
will not change their arguments, so in an expression like
   val <- func(arg)
you know that arg will not be changed.  You can
do that by having func copy arg before doing anything,
but that uses space and time that you want to conserve.
If arg is not a named item in any environment then it
should be fine to write over the original because there
is no way the caller can detect that shortcut.  E.g., in
    cx <- cos(runif(n))
the cos function does not need to allocate new space for
its output, it can just write over its input because, without
a name attached to it, the caller has no way of looking
at what runif(n) returned.  If you did
    x <- runif(n)
    cx <- cos(x)
then cos would have to allocate new space for its output
because overwriting its input would affect a subsequent
    sum(x)
I suppose that end-users and function-writers could learn
to live with having to decide when to copy, but not having
to make that decision makes S more pleasant (and safer) to use.
I think that is a major reason that people are able to
share S code so easily.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com