[Rd] How to install sqldf to R with version 2.10?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 17 17:44:19 CET 2012

On 17/03/2012 16:25, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 17.03.2012 17:20, Joshua Ulrich wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM, zhu free<freezhu8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> How to install sqldf to R with version 2.10? I used the R in the
>>> cluster of
>>> university and there seems no way to update the R version to 2.14.
>>> However,
>>> I do need sqldf. I tried to install and there is the problem of
>>> namespace.
>>> How could I solve the problem of namespace and run sqldf on R with
>>> version
>>> 2.10? Thank you!
>>>
>> Download and unpack the sqldf source, add a NAMESPACE file, then build
>> the Windows binary using R-2.10.x and Rtools210 or Rtools211.
>

> I don't think the OP is using Windows on a cluster.
> The point is that the new sqldf may not be compatible with the old

And in any case, there is no 'R 2.10', as the posting guide points out.

> release of R - and I don't have such an old version around for testing.
> Anyway: Go to CRAN and the package's archive, you will find old versions
> of the package that may work with the old R-2.10.x

And possibly older versions of all the packages it depends on/imports to.

But, I do have R 2.10.1 around, so I can reproduce the problem:
* installing *source* package ‘sqldf’ ...
** R
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : package 'gsubfn' does not have a name space
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘sqldf’

So the unstated problem is that sqldf does not work with gsubfn in R <
2.14.0.  And the solution as Uwe said is to use an older version of
sqldf (at least).

'zhu free' really does need to study the posting guide at
http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html, and learn to post
answerable questions.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk