[Rd] R 2.14.1 memory management under Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 13:02:08 CET 2012

On 22/03/2012 06:11, Peter Meilstrup wrote:
> My guess would be that it's a matter of having swap space be a dedicated
> partition or fixed-size file (Linux, usually) versus swapping to a regular
> file that grows as needed (Windows and OS X, usually.) So if you
> defragmented your drive and set Windows to have a fixedsize swap file, it
> would probably behave more like your Linux machine.

There is far more to the topic than that, but the answer here appears to
be a complete failure to supply the relevant information.

We haven't even been told the 'at a minumum' information required by the
posting guide, so we do not know what architectures are in use.  The
messages suggest that 'Linux' is 32-bit and 'Windows' is 64-bit, in
which case the tasks are simply not comparable.  On 32-bit R on Windows
I got the message about 3.4GB after 0.05 sec.  Conversely, with 64-bit R
on an 8GB Linux box with 16GB swap it swapped away for about 10 minutes.
  On a 32GB box it succeeded after 270s, typically using 8-14GB.  The
object SG tried to create is a bit over 7GB.

But Windows' memory management is notoriously slow, and R actually adds
a layer on top to make it tolerable for routine use of R.

I have no idea why this was posted on R-devel: it did not involve R
development nor programming, just a basic understanding of 32- vs 64-bit R.