[Rd] RC / methods package

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Sun Mar 25 21:24:01 CEST 2012

On 3/24/12 5:43 PM, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> On 12-03-24 08:11 PM, John Chambers wrote:
>>

>> On 3/24/12 1:29 PM, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>>> (I think this is being caused by the new methods package in RC.)
>> Possibly, but the methods package isn't particularly "new" in its method
>> selection.
>>
>> We need to see the definition of the class.
>
> Is there a way to know which class it is that we need to see the
> definition for?

It's in the note:  'target signature "TSMySQLConnection#integer"'.  In
functional OOP with multiple dispatch, it's all the classes that matter
in general, but in this and most cases, one class is likely the relevant
one:  "TSMySQLConnection".  That was why I said what I did before.

(We could go to a bit more effort and back-translate the dispatch string
"TSMySQLConnection#integer" into the corresponding formal arguments.
Would be more natural with the INSTALL time tool I mentioned before.
That's the real challenge here -- to give information about this to the
package developer, not the poor user.)

John