[Rd] bzip2'ed data under data/

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:34:57 CEST 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:35:15 +0000,
Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 19/03/2012 20:25, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
>> Hi,

>> R CMD check PACKAGE_VERSION_tar.gz gives warning:

>> Files not of a type allowed in a ‘data’ directory: ‘tser1.csv.bz2’
>> ‘tser2.csv.bz2’ Please use e.g. ‘inst/extdata’ for non-R data files

>> which I didn't expect, based on section 1.1.5 (Data in packages) of
>> the Writing R Extensions manual:

>> Tables (`.tab', `.txt', or `.csv' files) can be compressed by `gzip',
>> `bzip2' or `xz', optionally with additional extension `.gz', `.bz2'
>> or `.xz'.  However, such files can only be used with R 2.10.0 or
>> later, and so the package should have an appropriate `Depends' entry
>> in its DESCRIPTION file.

>> In this case, I have a Depends: R (>= 2.13.0), and the package was
>> built with R version 2.15.0 beta (2012-03-16 r58769), Platform:
>> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit), so I don't understand the warning.

>> Cheers,

> Well, the extension is allowed 'optionally' to be .csv.bz2, but that
> does not make it good practice and I would suggest not using it.

Does this mean we can still compress the files, but leave the file name
with suffix *.csv (i.e. not adding the compression-specific suffix)?
The 2 files I'm including in the package are a little over 1 Mb, and
bzip2 gets them down to < 150 Kb.

> But that 'check' picked it up was a typo in the code 'check' used to
> specify types of data() files, corrected since your build of R so I
> would expect current R-devel or R-pre-release not to give the NOTE.  I
> am not sure whether or not that has any ramifications for users of the
> package with older versions of R, but we know calling the compressed
> file foo.csv would work.

Up to R 2.14.2, R CMD check was reporting a Warning, rather than a Note,
but indeed the latest R-devel and R-pre-release don't.  Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb