[Rd] CRAN policies

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:22:06 CEST 2012

On 12-03-27 10:59 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 27.03.2012 16:17, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>> One of the things I have noticed with the R 2.15.0 RC and --as-cran is
>> that the I have to bump the version number of the working copy of my
>> packages immediately after putting a version on CRAN, or I get an
>> message about version suitability. This is probably a good thing for
>> packages that I have changed, compared with my old habit of bumping the
>> version number at arbitrary times, although the mechanics are a nuisance
>> because I do not actually want to commit to the next version number at
>> that point. For packages that I have not changed it is a bit worse,
>> because I have to change the version number even though I have not yet
>> made any changes to the package. This will mean, for example, that on
>> R-forge it will look like there is a slightly newer version, even though
>> there is not really.
>>
>> I am curious how other developers approach this. Is it better to not
>> specify --as-cran most of the time? My feeling is that it is better to
>> specify it all of the time so that I catch errors sooner rather than
>> later, but maybe there is a better solution?
>

> --as-cran is modelled rather closely after the CRAN incoming checks.
> CRAN checks if a new version has a new version number. Of course, you
> can ignore its result if you do not want to submit. The idea of using
> --as-cran is to apply it before you actually submit. Some parts require
> network connection etc.
>
> Uwe

Yes but, for example, will R-forge run checks with --as-cran, and thus
give warnings for any package unchanged from the one on CRAN, or run
without --as-cran, and thus not give a true indication of whether the
package is good to submit?

(No doubt R-forge will customise more, but I am trying to work out a
strategy for my own automatic testing.)

Paul