[Rd] --as-cran / BuildVignettes: false

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:07:12 CEST 2012

I have packages where I know CRAN and other test platforms do not have
all the resources to build the vignettes, for example, access to
databases. Previously I think putting

  BuildVignettes: false

in the DESCRIPTION file resolved this, by preventing CRAN checks from
attempting to run the vignette code. (If it was not this, then there was
some other magic I don't understand.)

Now, when I specify --as-cran, the checks fail when attempting to check
R code from vignettes, even though I have "BuildVignettes: false" in the
DESCRIPTION file.

What is the mechanism for indicating that CRAN should not attempt to
check this code?  Perhaps it is intentionally difficult - I can see an
argument for that.  (For running tests there are environment variables,
e.g._R_CHECK_HAVE_MYSQL_, but using these really clutters up a vignette,
and it did not seem necessary to use them before.)

(The difficult also occurs on R-forge, possibly because it is using
--as-cran like settings.)

Paul