[Rd] Proposal: model.data

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 4 18:56:56 CEST 2012

    PJ> Greetings: On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Brian
    PJ> G. Peterson <brian at braverock.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 10:51 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
    >>> If somebody in R Core would like this and think about
    >>> putting it, or something like it, into the base, then
    >>> many chores involving predicted values would become much
    >>> easier.
    >>>
    >> Why does this need to be in base?  Implement it in a
    >> package.
    >>>
    >> If it works, and is additive, people will use it.  Look
    >> at 'reshape' or 'xts' or 'Matrix' just to name a few
    >> examples of widely used packages.
    >>

    PJ> I can't use it to fix termplot unless it is in base.

Indeed.  I think it would be useful to "branch this topic"
into one part where it is about fixing
     termplot()  and  predict(*, type = "terms")
because -- as it happens -- I've got this on my todo list to
look at, for a couple of weeks now.
I also think there are "infelicities" in there
that could/should be improved.

    PJ> Or are you suggesting I create my own "termplot"
    PJ> replacement?

not necessarily.. ;-)

Martin