[Rd] Curry: proposed new functional programming, er, function.

Yike Lu yikelu.home at gmail.com
Sat May 26 18:30:05 CEST 2012

On 5/25/12 5:23 PM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Yike Lu<yikelu.home at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So here's the way I'm reading this:
>>
>> Original:
>> curry_call is the function body you're constructing, which is itself just a
>> one liner which calls the symbol FUN with the appropriate substitutions.
>
> Yup.  With a bit more infrastructure you could probably modify it so
> that multiple curries collapsed into the equivalent single curry.

Yes I could see how one would do that - if the match.call detects a
Curry as the first function being called, we would short circuit the
usual evaluation into a different path which properly collapses all the
nesting.

It's interesting how R offers these facilities to override the usual
evaluation order, but if one does that too much it could easily become
confusing. I was looking at Rpipe the other day
(https://github.com/slycoder/Rpipe) and the way he implements it is by
defining his own Eval.

Cheers,