[Rd] Out of date instructions to build R using MKL

Elliott Forney idfah at cs.colostate.edu
Tue May 29 22:10:54 CEST 2012

Yes, these instructions are no longer valid as there has been some
reorganization of the mkl libraries.  The path
/opt/intel/mkl/10.0.3.020/lib/em64t/ is now
/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64.  Also, the only libraries that need to be
included are:

-lmkl_gf_lp64 -lmkl_gnu_thread -lmkl_core

The trick to getting rid of the "double complex BLAS" error is to use
only the gnu compatible libraries (i.e. use mkl_gnu_thread instead of
iomp5).  I believe the intel-only libraries use a different convention
to pass complex numbers between libraries built with fortran?
Thankfully this check detects the error instead of crashing at run
time.

I used the following to build R-2.14.1 with MKL:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64
./configure --prefix=/opt/R-2.14.1 --enable-threads=posix
--with-lapack --with-blas="-I/opt/intel/mkl/include
-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64 -lmkl_gf_lp64
-lmkl_gnu_thread -lmkl_core -fopenmp -lpthread -lm"

Although a highly tuned BLAS may not help much for many applications,
I have seen several orders of magnitude performance improvement in
some of my work that uses matrix operations heavily and others in my
lab have experienced the same.  Having R linked against MKL has been
HUGELY important for me personally.

A custom tuned ATLAS works well too but I find it frustrating that it
needs to be re-tuned for each architecture I use (I tend to distribute
jobs in a heterogeneous environment).

Thanks!
  Elliott Forney